When will my organisation need to cancel their payroll tax registration?
Organisation no longer employs in South Australia or their wages are below the threshold
You may cancel your organisation's payroll tax registration if they are:
- no longer employing in South Australia
- a single company only and their taxable wages are below the Australia wide wages threshold; or
- part of a group and their groups’ taxable wages are below the Australia wide wages threshold.
Organisation no longer employs under the ABN that they are registered for payroll tax under and now employs under a new ABN
If your organisation has ceased to employ under the ABN they are currently registered for payroll tax under and are employing under a new ABN:
- the payroll tax registration for the old ABN will need to be cancelled.
- the new employing ABN will need to complete a new payroll tax registration. You can create a new payroll tax registration from within RevenueSA Online. Find out how you can register the new employing ABN for payroll tax on our Register for payroll tax page.
How do I cancel a payroll tax registration?
An organisation's payroll tax registration can be cancelled as part of the annual reconciliation or during the financial year.
To cancel the payroll tax registration during the financial year, please follow these steps:
- Contact RevenueSA at email@example.com advising you wish to cancel your registration. Please include your South Australian payroll taxpayer number and the date of cancellation. RevenueSA will then open the annual reconciliation for the current financial year.
- RevenueSA will advise via email when the annual reconciliation for the current year has been opened on RevenueSA Online. You will then be able complete the final lodgement via RevenueSA Online.
- To lodge a final return, select the annual reconciliation option and complete the annual reconciliation for the current financial year. Instructions on completing your annual reconciliation are available. It is recommended that you collate the information needed prior to commencing the reconciliation online.
- If payroll tax is due a payment is required within 14 days. Failure to make a payment by the due date may result in penalty tax and interest being applied.
When contacting us please provide your South Australian Taxpayer Number (if known), ABN, and organisation name.
|phone||(08) 8226 3750, select option 5|
|fax||(08) 8226 3805|
|post||GPO Box 2418, Adelaide, SA 5001|
You can reach us during business hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm (South Australian time), Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).