Concessions & Remissions

How do I apply for a concession and the general remission?

All applications and application enquiries are handled by the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI).

You can complete an online application available from the Concessions Page.

Alternatively, contact the DCSI Concessions Hotline and arrange to have a form sent to you.


Phone: 1800 307 758

A text telephone service is available for people who have a speech or hearing impairment on:

TTY: (08) 8226 6789.

Am I eligible for a concession and/or the general remission?

You may be eligible for the general remission and/or a concession on the ESL applied to your principal place of residence if you:

Are the titled owner of the property


Hold a life interest in the property

NOTE: a copy of the Will needs to be provided to Department for Communities and Social Inclusion at the time of applying for the concession


Hold one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Repatriation Health Card (TPI, EDA or War Widow) from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs-- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • Low Income Health Care Card*

NOTE: With the exception of a Low Income Health Care Card, if you hold one of the cards listed above, once your initial application has been approved, your general remission/concession will automatically be deducted from all future ESL Notices. *If you hold a Low Income Health Care Card, you will need to apply every year.


Receive one of the following Centrelink payments:

  • Newstart allowance
  • Sickness allowance
  • Widow allowance
  • Youth allowance
  • Partner allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special benefit
  • Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand

NOTE: If you receive one of the Centrelink payments listed above, you will need to reapply each year.

The general remission and the concession are available on only one property per person, married couple or domestic partnership and must constitute the persons’/couples’/partners’ principal place of residence. Two or more persons owning land jointly or as tenants in common (other than a married couple or a domestic partnership) are each eligible for a part remission/concession, proportionate to his or her interest in their principal place of residence.

How much is the concession/general remission?

The maximum concession available is $46 per year.

The general remission is essentially the amount the Government contributes on behalf of eligible levy payers.

The general remission is the difference between calculating the ESL using the Prescribed components and the Effective components (see example in Point 8 of the Guide to Emergency Services Levy).

Does the general remission extend to principal places of residence in retirement villages?

All properties coded as Retired and Aged Care Accommodation or as Independent Living Unit, and all properties within the ownership of the recognised and regulated residential parks receive the ESL general remission. All retirement villages are included in these codes.

Remissions are applied automatically to your notice.

What other remissions are available?

As well as the general remission the following remissions may also apply:

  • to ESL accounts of $20 or less (after any applicable remission/concession has been applied) where all of an owner’s property holdings are confined to Regional Area 3; and
  • to a property with a capital value of $1000 or less in Regional Area 2 or Regional Area 3.

Remissions are applied automatically to your notice.