How do I apply for a concession?

All applications and application enquiries are handled by the Department of Human Services (DHS).

You can complete an online application available from the Concessions Page on

Alternatively, contact the DHS Concessions Hotline and arrange to have a form sent to you.


Phone: 1800 307 758

Am I eligible for a concession?

You may be eligible for a concession on the ESL applied to your principal place of residence if you:

Are the titled owner of the property


Hold a life interest in the property

NOTE: a copy of the Will needs to be provided to Department Human Services at the time of applying for the concession


Hold one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Repatriation Health Card (TPI, EDA or War Widow) from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card


Receive one of the following Centrelink payments/cards:

  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Sickness allowance
  • Widow allowance
  • Youth allowance
  • Partner allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special benefit
  • Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand

The concession is available on only one property per person, married couple or domestic partnership and must constitute the persons’/couples’/partners’ principal place of residence. Two or more persons owning land jointly or as tenants in common (other than a married couple or a domestic partnership) are each eligible for a part concession, proportionate to their interest in their principal place of residence.

How much is the concession?

The maximum concession available is $46 per year.

You will also receive the benefit of an increased general remission on your Notice.

Use our Emergency Services Levy Calculator to estimate the levy payable.