In conjunction with investigations and audit, the Compliance Services Branch includes a team responsible for the recovery of unpaid taxation liabilities including:
- Land Tax;
- Payroll Tax;
- Stamp Duty (including Land Rich);
- First Home Owners and Bonus Grants; and
- Emergency Services Levy.
Debt Management Services utilises a number of strategies to best protect the State’s revenue including:
- court proceedings pursuant to relevant jurisdictional legislation;
- S.459E Notice (Notice to Wind Up In Insolvency) pursuant to the Corporations Act; and
- processes pursuant to specific taxation legislation:
- caveat over the first charge on real property;
- charging order over real property;
- garnishee for any money due and owing to a taxpayer;
- imposition of penalty tax; and
- imposition of interest.
Where a taxpayer is able to show financial hardship, or under other specific circumstances, an instalment arrangement may be facilitated to enable a taxpayer to meet their liability. Instalment arrangements are subject to interest and other conditions dependant upon the tax type, the value of the debt and the length of the arrangement being sought. Generally, instalment arrangements are only provided when the taxpayer has sought assistance prior to the due date of the original assessment.
This page was last reviewed 4 April, 2011